SEE & DO
You’re enjoying the peace and tranquillity of the #BeautifulBoyneValley, the cleanliness and friendly welcome of the Discovery Centre, the mountain views, the night skies, but what’s to do, you ask? Plenty. You can be as lazy or as adventurous as you like.
The Discovery Centre and Follywood Guest House are both centrally located, an easy hour’s drive to Gladstone, Monto or Agnes Water and right on the doorstep of Lake Awoonga and Boynedale Bush Camp. Pick up a map from the Discovery Centre Office and take a drive of discovery. Go fishing, walking or birdwatching. There is access to the Boyne River available at Nagoorin as well as at Bush Camp. Drop in a line or a pot for the chance of a fish or red claw or two.
the discovery centre
- Do some bird watching. There are twitching cards and Field Guides available on request.
- Cycle the backroads. Bicycles for hire. ($5.00 per day with a refundable $50 deposit.)
- Stroll the streets of Ubobo and discover its historical story. (To guide you, Our Heritage booklet on sale for $5.00)
- Bring your horse. Discover the valley framed by the ears of your horse!
- Self-drive 4WD tours of historic sites such as the Beautiful Betsy, the old Glassford Creek mine or Kalpowar State Forest, Kroombit Tops and other National Parks to explore. Maps and information available on request at the Discovery Centre, Ubobo.
- Walk, ride, cycle the Boyne Burnett Inland Rail Trail opening September 11, 2021. Be amazed by the workmanship involved in constructing the line with nothing more than “ Pick, Shovel, Gelignite and Hard Yakka.” ~ Jimmy Harris
- Take an adventure ride. Check out this short vid below to whet your appetite!
- Drive to historic Many Peaks. Take your camera, sketch book and paints. Relax and enjoy a picnic on the picturesque Many Peaks Railway Dam.
- Enjoy a coffee and cake at Kirsten’s Cottage Thursday- Sunday. A joy not to be missed!
- Join Lyndal for a coffee and chat on Saturday morning, pick up some fish and chips Friday night or order some of her fresh baked bread. Yum!
- Take a stroll through The Garden Market Boyne Valley. Stock up on some fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Ponder the lives of those laid to rest in Nagoorin and Builyan (Many Peaks) cemeteries
top 10 boyne valley
things to see & do
Here is a list of the Top 10 Things to See and Do while visiting the Boyne Valley with links to more information on each suggestion.
1. Laze back at our Camping or accommodation spot or the Boyne Valley Follywood Guesthouse or The Boynedale Bush Camp.
2. Discover the Boyne Burnett Inland Rail Trail
4. Explore the Bulburin National Park and 4WD loop road
5. Picnic and bird watch in the Kalpowar State Forest
6. Go Fishing in the Boyne River, Nagoorin or at the Bush Camp, Boynedale
7. Go Bird Watching
8. Buy a copy of Our Treasures and take a historical walking tour of Ubobo
On sale at the office Discovery Centre Ubobo
9. Visit Harmony Farm and go horse riding, bush walking, canoeing
10. Step back in time and visit the site of the Glassford Creek Mine